As has become something of an annual tradition, Linear Obsessional is looking for submissions for an open access compilation to be released on Christmas Eve 2017. This year it’s a little different in that it’s going to be guest coordinated/curated by me, David Little (who performs/records as smallhaus). We’re looking for two minute (exactly!) pieces on the general theme of landscape under the title “A view from a Hill”.
The title comes from one of my favourite ghost stories by MR James, but there doesn’t have to be anything spooky about submissions (although there certainly could be). You could think about landscape more generally - what does it mean to you, how does it influence you? What kind of landscape, or place or view more generally is particularly important to you? Interpret the theme as you see fit. Submissions can be musical, spoken word, field recordings..., it’s up to you - as long as they fit the theme it’s all good!
If you want to take part, please read the rules below - they’re very important - I can’t accept anything that doesn’t conform to them. It’s particularly important that pieces should be exactly 2 mins long (as in 2:00, not 1:59, or 2:01) - I don’t have a lot of time to edit pieces down - but I appreciate sometimes that can be tricky depending on your editing software, so let me know if you have any difficulties..
Most of all, have fun! Looking forward to hearing what you come up with.
Pieces should be shared via a file sharing site like Dropbox, We Transfer or Google Drive - please email me with the link. Please don’t email them to me directly.
If you have any questions please drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be gentle, this is my first time doing anything like this.
- David Little, 5 November 2017
1. All tracks must be exactly two minutes long and be on the theme of “A view from a hill”
2. Tracks can be in any audio format, but WAV or AIFF are preferable, but I'm happy to take recordings made on phones, cassette recorders, studios, whatever. Please name the files in the following format - Name of contributor - Track name.wav
3. Only one track per contributor.
4. No cover versions. Versions of traditional songs would be OK however. But no material in copyright can be used or sampled (unless you hold the copyright!)
5. Despite the release date, I am not looking for seasonal material. The compilation should be enjoyable all year.
6. Offensive material will be refused- I have final say on this.
7. Be aware of the sort of label Linear Obsessional is.
8. Tracks should be sent to my email (email@example.com) as a link to a file on a file sharing site such as Dropbox, We Transfer or Google Drive. Please include details of title and artist, any notes, and an accompanying picture if you want.
9. Tracks should not have appeared elsewhere.
11. Deadline for submissions is 16th December 2017. Do not release your tracks individually until after the compilation is released on Christmas Eve.
12. The resulting compilation will be released as a free download on Linear Obsessional on December 24th 2017, and all tracks will be under a creative commons licence.